Thursday, July 12, 2007

Victoria Beckham: David and I Are Stronger Than Ever




The Beckhams may be British tabloid royalty, but they're just starting to get big press stateside.

Soccer star David and Spice Girl wife Victoria are moving to Los Angeles this summer, a relocation so monumental that it's being captured by NBC cameras for a special airing July 16, Victoria Beckham: Coming to America.

Prior to the big move, the couple spoke to W Magazine and revealed an unrehearsed and open charm that's sure to earn them more fans in the U.S.

From learning to smile to dealing with scandal, the Beckhams are ready to take on Beverly Hills...together. Excerpts below:

On how they met:
DB: “I’m quite shy. I just sort of waved from the other side of the bar. I sort of said hello and then just went back to Manchester. I was quite upset and gutted.”
VB: "I didn’t really know who he was. I was never into football...He was always with his mom, dad and sister while a lot of the footballers were at the bar getting drunk. I could sense right from the start that David was a gentleman, and very family-oriented, which is important because I’m the same.”

On knowing their callings at an early age:
DB: “At school whenever the teachers asked, ‘What do you want to do when you’re older?’ I’d say, ‘I want to be a footballer.’ And they’d say, ‘No, what do you really want to do, for a job?’ But that was the only thing I ever wanted to do.”
VB:“Everything revolved around my dancing and singing lessons. I used to customize my school uniforms. I loved clothes, hair and makeup. I’ve always been a real girly girl.”

On Victoria's plans to win over Americans:
VB: “I think people are really going to see me for the first time. I think they have this impression that I’m this miserable cow who doesn’t smile. But I’m actually quite the opposite. When you’re out there, they’re trying to get pictures up your shirt, down your top...With all the flashes, it’s as much as you can do to just find your car. I’m going to try and smile more for America.”

On dealing with rumors that David had an affair three years ago:
VB: “I’m not going to lie. It was a really tough time. It was hard for our entire families...David and I got through it together. No one said marriage was going to be easy. Yes, there have been bumps along the road. But the fact is we’ve come out of everything we’ve been through stronger and happier. It’s even better now than when we were first married. After all these years, we can just come home and have a laugh together.”

US Weekly

No comments: